While today is the first official day of Spring in the Southern Hemisphere 🌸, I am still looking back at our winter adventures in August 🏂
It is so worth to get up @coronetpeak to see this incredible view over Queenstown 💙 #travelwithme
Living the Legend 💣
Day 16: My first extreme adventure/sports since the start of my 117-day New Zealand (work) holiday - a 5-hour long caving experience (@legendaryblackwaterraftingco Black Abyss) that required us to...
1. Abseil down into the Ruakuri Cave
2. Zipline across the cave where we got to see those star-light glowworms (which we also learnt that they are actually maggots; "glowworm" is just a marketing tactic because who wants to come see maggots right?)
3. Jump into the cave waters, made a big splash and drank lots of water (FYI the water was about 12degrees)
4. Tube/paddle/swim/walk in the water (imagine our frozen hands and all that shivering but the midway snacks and hot choco while caving sure helped!)
5. Climb up those limestones as what I would call mild rock climbing but it is really legit to me, climbing up the cave without harnesses on at this point
6. And we had to of course scoot/butt-slide our way down after
I'm so glad I wasn't alone on this tour. More than one's fitness level, I would say the endurance towards the freezing waters was much more important and thanks for the mental support just being on this tour together @mantouuu !
Despite all the cuts and abrasions on our hands from falling and rope burns, it was soooooo worth it, it should definitely be on everyone's bucket list! I think this is soooooo much of an adventure since we did not know what to expect next! It would have been even better if we took the difficult exit route - which was to climb up through 2 waterfalls - we wanted too, only if we had gloves on though cause our hands were much too frozen and in pain from cuts to guarantee we'll not fall off halfway and drop down (no ropes/harness for this exit out!) *Shoutout to our guides Tim & Hannah!
1st off the bucket list - Black Water Rafting + Caving ✅
P.S. "work" in brackets because I haven't found any jobs yet and have been focusing on "play" while @mantouuu hijacked my trip. Hah.