Rasam, Tomato Rasam 👇 Follow Recipe @tarladalal#tarladalal#rasam#tomatorecipe#tomato#southindian
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Total Time: 40 mins Makes 4 servings
For The Rasam Powder
🌼1 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
🌼3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
🌼5 to 6 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
🌼1 tsp toovar (arhar) dal
🌼1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
🌼a pinch of cumin seeds (jeera)
🌼2 tbsp toovar (arhar) dal
🌼1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
🌼1/4 cup tamarind (imli) pulp
🌼a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
🌼a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
🌼salt to taste
🌼2 tsp ghee
🌼1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
🌼6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
🌼2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For the rasam powder
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool completely.
2. Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Combine the toovar dal with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Blend the dal mixture using a hand blender till smooth.
4. Add the rasam powder into it, mix well and keep aside.
5. Combine the tomatoes, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Add the prepared dal-rasam powder mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
7. For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
8. When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the prepared rasam, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
9. Add the coriander and mix well.
10. Serve hot.