So here goes with my Top 10 list of red wines of the 50 I drank for #50before50 . The top few were obvious but it’s been tricky to separate the rest. Needless to say everything on the list is highly recommended but remember I’m no wine expert. Enjoy!
1. Craggy Range Sophia 2013
2. Te Rere Syrah 2013
3. Brennan Pinot Noir 2007
4. Stonecroft Zinfandel 2014
5. Te Whau The Point 2012
6. Man O War Ironclad 2012
7. Elephant Hill Syrah 2015
8. Mudbrick Merlot Cabernet 2009
9. Gibbston Valley Pinot Noir 2010
10. Askerne Cabernet Merlot 2007
Having the best day on Waiheke with Graham and Euphemia. Sipping on this divine little number from Man O’ War, basking in the sunshine, listening to some fantastic tunes. Happy happy 👏👏 #manowarwine#manowarwinery
After a couple hours of eating, drinking and meeting new folks at the Hekerua Lodge backpackers hostel, I gathered a wonderful small group of intrepid wine tasters to accompany me for the next day. Despite the small size of the island, there were some wineries that could not be visited via the local public transportation. ………………………
(1) Along our hour long drive on bumpy dirt roads, we came across several hills filled with sheep. We had to at least stop to say hello. The hills also are responsible for the many microclimates on the island, perfect for growing grapes. (2) Finally at the Man O’ War winery, we were blown away by the gorgeous beach views of Man O’ War Bay at the edge of the property. Their red blends were all wonderful and even their sauvignon blanc was interesting. (3) View of Auckland from Mudbrick Vineyard. (4) Cable Bay Vineyards is probably the most recommended place to view the sunset on Waiheke. (5) My wonderful group of wine sippers for the day; a couple of recent Toronto transplants, a German and an Aussie. We shared an amazing time together. (6) Views from Stonyridge Vineyards on the following day.