The C listed Bruce Street Hall (not to be confused with Bruce Hall in Elgin Street) was built in 1887-88 as a volunteer drill hall, in an "institutional Gothic" style, to designs by local architect and Town Provost, Andrew Scobie. 💜
This is the site of the former 'Mill Port' or 'Collieraw Port', one of six sets of gates built to surround the Royal burgh in 1396. The Town Council, in November 1754, ordered it to be demolished. When the drill hall was later extended, a single potsherd was found that may date back to the 13th century.
Bruce Street Hall initially hosted the 1st Fifeshire Volunteers, whose numbers had reached more than 200 by the date of its construction. A report in the Fife Herald (Wednesday, June 22, 1887) recounts the foundation stone ceremony with the usual formalities in the presence of Lord Elgin, the Provost, and "a large crowd". On the ground floor was the armoury and orderly rooms with a passage between them forming the entrance to the hall, and a number of retiring rooms. The second floor had reading and recreation rooms. It was lighted from the roof with a gallery at one end, and a dwelling house for the drill instructor adjoining the hall. The cost of the building was estimated at £2000.
Newspaper notices from 1888 indicate that the hall space was also utilised for a variety of purposes including dog shows, flower shows and household auctions.
After being gutted by fire in 1975, the building reopened as a sports centre in 1988.