En 1832, dans le maelström infernal de Coll Coyle, métayer marié à Sarah et père de famille.
Un homme expulsé de sa terre, traqué par Faller, l’homme de main de son propriétaire, Hamilton, assoiffé de vengeance et de sang.
Une chasse à l’homme à travers les collines et les tourbières irlandaises sous le froid et la pluie jusqu’en Amérique, terre des pionniers damnés.
L’histoire de la rage de vivre d’un homme malgré la violence du monde, transcendée par un bout de ruban caché au fond de sa poche.
La puissance de l’écriture de Paul Lynch faite d’images terrifiantes et inoubliables.
A shamrock is a young sprig, used as a symbol of Ireland. Saint Patrick, Ireland's patron saint, is said to have used it as a metaphor for the Christian Holy Trinity. The name shamrock comes from Irish seamróg[ˈʃamˠɾˠoːɡ], which is the diminutive of the Irish word for plant (seamair) and means simply "little plant" or "young plant".
As St. Patrick is Ireland's patron saint, shamrock has been used as a symbol of Ireland since the 18th century, in a similar way to how a rose is used for England, thistle for Scotland and daffodil for Wales. The shamrock first began to change from a symbol purely associated with St. Patrick to an Irish national symbol when it was taken up as an emblem by rival militias, during the turbulent politics of the late eighteenth century.
The shamrock has been registered as a trademark by the Government of Ireland. In the early 1980s, Ireland defended its right to use the shamrock as its national symbol in a German trademark case. Having originally lost, Ireland won on appeal to the German Supreme Court in 1985.
The national flag of Ireland (Irish: bratach na hÉireann) – frequently referred to as the Irish tricolour (trídhathach na hÉireann) – is the national flag and ensign of the Republic of Ireland. The flag itself is a vertical tricolour of green (at the hoist), white and orange.The proportions of the flag are 1:2 (that is to say, flown horizontally, the flag is half as high as it is wide).
Presented as a gift in 1848 to Thomas Francis Meagher from a small group of French women sympathetic to the Irish cause, it was intended to symbolise the inclusion and hoped-for union between Roman Catholics and Protestants, the significance of the colours outlined by Meagher was, “The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between Orange and Green and I trust that beneath its folds the hands of Irish Protestants and Irish Catholics may be clasped in generous and heroic brotherhood.” #dublin#dublinireland#ireland#nationalflag#dublincity#irelande#dublinlove#travel#travelphotography#irishflag
The Wonderful Barn is a corkscrew-shaped building on the edge of Castletown HouseEstate, formerly of the Conolly family, in Celbridge, County Kildare, Ireland. The barn itself is formally in neighbouring Leixlip.
The barn was built in 1743 on the Leixlip side of the Castletown Estate.
Several purposes are suggested for the unique structure:
One theory is based on the custom in Georgian times of using doves as a delicacy when other game or animals were not in season, and suggest its use as a dovecote.
The height of the structure would also lend itself to sport shooting, supporting another theory of its use as a shooting or gamekeepers tower.
The tower is seen from the east windows of Castletown House, so it filled that vista, possibly as a folly. However, a central hole through each of the floors supports the generally accepted theory of its use as a granary. The barn was built in the years immediately following the famine of 1740-41, as there was a need for new grain stores in case of another famine. The Conollys owned Kilmacredock and rented it out, so the barn was also useful for their tenants.
The construction project also likely served as a way to keep the local poor employed. In this, it is not unlike the Conolly Folly (an Obelisk), which was built on the estate in 1740-41.
A similar structure known as the Bottle Tower, built in imitation of the Wonderful Barn, is located in Churchtown, close to Rathfarnham.
0 193 days ago
People's Park is a public park in Dún Laoghaire, Ireland, near the East Pier.
A Martello Tower was previously built on the site in 1805, which can be seen from maps from 1817 and 1821.
The park was officially opened on 29 September 1890. The land had been acquired by the Kingstown town commissioners in 1889 and the park had been designed by J. L. Robinson, an architect who was chairman of the Town Commissioners.
The current system of pathways was in place by 1937.
The park is approximately two hectares in size and is bounded by Summerhill Road, Park Road and a railway cutting.
The gate lodge is at the entrance at the junction of Upper Georges Street, Park Lane and Summerhill Road.
The bandstand is at the centre of the park, with a playground to the east. There are two fountains in the park as well as Tea Rooms and a Garden for the Blind.
Sunday Markets are held on Sundays throughout the year.
The nearest railway station is Sandycove and Glasthule on Summerhill Road.
0 213 days ago
Bushy Park is a large, 20.5-hectare (51-acre), suburban public park in Terenure, Dublin, Ireland.
There is a children's playground, an extensive wooded area, with walks to the banks of the Dodder (with access over a footbridge to the Rathfarnham area), a woodland pond, a duckpond, and a recently reopened kiosk. In front of the duck pond is a high hill, and east of the pond is a starting point for the woodland walk, beside a small cascade. The park is a good place for birdwatching - among the species which may be seen are sparrow hawk, treecreeper and kingfisher.
The park has football fields, a skateboardingarea and 11 tennis courts. Many sporting clubs and schools in the area use the park for recreational activities such as the Football Association of Ireland, Terenure Football Club (with schoolgirls, schoolboys, adult male and female teams), and Gaelic football club Templeogue Synge Street. Sportsworld running club are also based in the park, with their clubhouse located at the Terenure road entrance to the park.The Terenure Village Market operates in Bushy Park each Saturday afternoon. The market consists of a variety of stalls selling artisan foods, confectionery and more, along with occasional music performances.
1 173 days ago
The Iveagh Gardens (/ˈaɪviː/; Irish: Gairdíní Uí Echach) is a public park located between Clonmel Street and Upper Hatch Street, near the National Concert Hall in Dublin, Ireland. It is designated as a National Historic Property. The gardens are almost completely surrounded by buildings making them less noticeable and a little hard to find, unlike other green spaces in Dublin. This makes them one of Dublin's hidden gems.
In 1991 the gardens were placed under the management of The Office of Public Works.The OPW brief was under six distinct headings:
to conserve and restore a unique city centre park, which has remained largely unaltered since its layout by the landscape architect Ninian Niven;
to improve public accessibility by constructing a new entrance from Hatch Street;
to focus attention on one of Ireland’s most influential landscape architects and horticulturists, Ninian Niven, by conserving one of his few surviving landscape creations;
to conserve the internal and perimeter vegetation to screen out adjacent office blocks and buildings;
to highlight the large range of landscape features for public enjoyment and landscape appreciation; and
to restore these gardens creating a major tourist attraction offering a unique landscape not available in other city parks and gardens in Dublin.
A major restoration of the gardens to return the gardens to their original state commenced in 1992 and the gardens opened again to the public in 1992.The waterfall or cascade was allocated IR£200,000 in 1996 for its restoration.
In 2003, a new entrance was added to the Gardens from Upper Hatch Street.
In 2007 it was envisaged that the Earlsfort Terrace buildings would be re-united with the Iveagh Gardens, facilitating increased public access and new public rooms, cafes and restaurants would over-look the Gardens and the city.This plan remains currently unrealised.